2008-12-01

Shopping at Wal-Mart can be dangerous

You've probably heard the saying "shop until you drop", but being like this!

People are so inclined to consume they care not for others. I've read somewhere, long ago, in a science fiction novel about a society where the rich where those who could afford to live a simple life. While, the poor where forced to consume. At the time I thought the story to be outrageous. But, everyday I see evidence that the author, whoever it is, where quite on spot. That's scary ...


Anybody out there who might know which author? I believe him (yes it's a he) to be one of the more famous American SF novelists.

2 comments:

Fred said...

A quick google search brought up the short story "The Midas Plague" by Frederik Pohl, originally published in the Galaxy Sciene Fiction magazine in 1954. It was republished in "Midas World" in 1983 (http://www.amazon.com/Midas-World-Novel-Frederik-Pohl/dp/0312531826)

R. Varttinen said...

Thanks Fred! I'll check out the short story. If I recall correctly I might even have it in my bookshelf, somewhere ... it's quite large if I may say so...